Summary of Radisson Blu Edwardian's Key Responsible Business Best Practice Initiatives
At Radisson Blu Edwardian we strive to consistently improve our commitment to responsible business and green practices. Here are some of the sustainability initiatives we have implemented.
- Intelli-Hood systems installed to reduce power consumption for kitchen extract systems in all hotels (excluding Sussex).
- REH now receive LEC (Levy Exemption Product) low carbon power from Total Gas & Power Ltd, which reduces the CO2 emissions by approximately 40% using electricity conversion factors as supplied by DEFRA.
- New energy saving computer PCs have been rolled out.
- Low energy bulbs introduced into all guest bedroom corridors and number of lights being reduced, as well as movement sensors fitted in low-use public and BOH areas.
- LED lighting in all public areas, corridors & conference rooms in 2011
- Gas/electricity consumption now part of hotel monthly performance reviews and tracked electronically
- Electronic compendiums introduced via televisions at Guildford. Mercer Street & shortly at Berkshire, Sussex, Hampshire, Manchester & May Fair in conjunction with new Smart Samsung technology
- Single sheet notepaper introduced in all C&B Operations
- Batteries recycling in place
- Paper handtowels removed from all public area rest rooms
- Thames Valley Oil nominated as supplier to collect used kitchen oil.
- K.P. Waste nominated as new waste management supplier from May 09 offering separation of cardboard/paper, glass, general and food waste. All waste previously incinerated helping to produce electricity to 35,000 homes.
- All food waste is now recycled at all properties across the group in London
Rooms & Facilities
- Exclusive Vertue® mattresses, made entirely from organic and recycled materials are improving sleep quality and sustainability in all our hotels.
- New organic products, treatments and suppliers introduced in all spas via Spa Ritual, Bio Essential, Ahava, Pinks as well as organic cotton mitts
- Rainbow cleaning products introduced into all housekeeping operations – (all phosphate and chlorine free)
- Eco-smart pillows introduced for guest bedrooms.
- Seven Dials dry Cleaners now supply bio-degradable laundry bags for guest laundry & dry cleaning.
- Bathroom towels & eco-sheet changing strategies rolled out across the group together with guest amenity bathroom dispensers
- Flowco flow limiting shower valves fitted to all showers & taps in guest bathrooms across the group
- Reusable vinyl bathmats introduced to all guest bathrooms @ Heathrow in lieu of laundering linen variety daily
- Valves have also been fitted to all public toilet and staff urinals to reduce volumes of water consumed in all hotels.
- Tap sensors installed in public toilets as part of overall renovation programmes at: Mercer St, Berkshire, Grafton, BSH & planned at Manchester & Hampshire.
Food & Beverage
- Free trade tea & coffee available in all F&B outlets across the group.
- Salt, pepper and sugar dispensers introduced
- Dairystix milk sachets introduced for in-room tea/coffee facilities as they are better quality, longer shelf life and half as damaging to the environment
- Meat and vegetable food suppliers now supply produce in reusable plastic containers
- Watt Farms appointed as our new fruit & vegetables supplier based in Orpington, traditionally growers of herbs and vegetables for the supermarkets and wholesalers. They grow 35-40 different products on approximately 1000 acres and source another 20-30 lines from surrounding farms, thus again radically increasing the percentage of British grown products and reducing the carbon footprint.
- Endangered species of fish removed from all outlet menus.
- Responsible business mission statement & ethos incorporated into staff induction process & in all in-room guest compendiums.
- Carbon footprint measurement calculated for each hotel
- Recycling of used toner cartridges with supplies team
- World Childhood Foundation designated as nominated charity for the entire group. Each hotel also supports a local community charity.
- Bicycle rack facilities established at each hotel
- Energy efficiency & environmental awareness 0n-line training via Safety media introduced into mandatory training schedules for all departments in 2010
- All printed collateral is now printed on recycled paper in all hotels.
- Email option had been made default setting for all purchase orders rather than printed version.
- Duplex printing options added to all main photocopier/printers across the group.
View a full summary of our responsible business initiatives